As a lifelong insomniac, I have had my eye on weighted blankets for quite some time. Shutting down my brain at the end of a long day doesn’t come naturally for me. According to the Mayo Clinic, I’m not alone. More than 3 million cases of insomnia are reported each year. After deciding that I need to make changes in order to sleep well at night, I was excited to add a weighted blanket to my bag of tricks and do a little research on the benefits of using one.
SLEEP WELL BY IMPROVING RESTFUL SLEEP QUALITY
Both youth and adults can benefit from a weighted blanket. One of the most popular reasons people choose to use them is because of the hope of improved sleep. The science behind this theory simply says that the deep pressure you feel when being hugged by the weighted blanket allows you to feel safe, grounded and settled.
IMPROVE ATTENTION SPAN AND PRODUCTIVITY
The weight of the blanket is intended to provide proprioceptive input to the brain, which has a calming effect on the central nervous system. As a public school teacher, I have seen the calming affects of students wearing weighted backpacks and holding weighted lap blankets in the classroom. Adding a weighted blanket on a more regular basis has amazing results.
REDUCE STRESS AND ANXIETY
Weighted blankets have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety. Because of the deep pressure stimulation offered by weighted blankets, it feels like a massage, a firm hug, or even like a baby swaddle. Deep pressure has been found to calm both adults and children with anxiety, autism and A.D.D.
INCREASE SEROTONIN AND MELATONIN
Increasing serotonin levels is important. Serotonin helps your body to feel calm, process sensory input and assist mood regulation to name a few things. Sleeping with and using a weighted blanket can increase the feeling of being calm much like the deep pressure of a hug can help calm your nervous system.
DECREASE CHRONIC CORTISOL LEVELS
Just as serotonin and melatonin can be increased through a weighted blanket, regular use can also decrease cortisol levels. Cortisol is a steroid hormone found in your body. It helps control blood sugar levels, regulate metabolism, help reduce inflammation and helps with memory.
We recently welcomed CMFRT into our homes to help with improved sleep and better focus. CMFRT Weighted Blankets are great because they offer blankets for all ages and sizes. Whether you are looking for youth or adult blankets, there are options. We tested both a youth and adult blanket at our house and truly can’t say enough about the product. Pulling the weighted blanket up and over me at the end of a long day simply helped me feel more settled and relaxed. It felt like being wrapped in a warm embrace and motivated me to quiet my brain just as much as my body was being calmed. Things we loved about CMFRT include:
- CMFRT blankets are SO soft: The reversible nature of the blanket give sensory options so users can choose what they are most comfortable with. My son craves soft and snuggly so prefers the minky microfiber. I, however, like sleeping next to the smoothness of the cotton.
- Multiple temperature opportunities: I was most nervous that sleeping under a weighted blanket would leave me hot and uncomfortable. This was definitely not the case with CMFRT.
- Size options: Include 5, 7, 12, 16, 20, and 25 pounds making them perfect for kids, teenagers and adults.
- No clumps: When you first pick the blanket up, it feels like all of the weight would fall to one side. Somewhat magically, the weight doesn’t shift at all. Because of the unique stitching that is used, the weight stays in place, allowing for a great night of rest. Every night.
- Removable duvet cover that is machine-washable: This is arguably one of the best features and one that sets CMFRT apart from other brands. The outer duvet cover is completely removable and reapplied through the easy to operate zipper. This lends itself to washing as often as needed. The machine washable cover is a must!
When it comes to determining the correct weight of the blanket that will best fit your needs, there are charts and guidelines to follow. At the end of the day, some will come down to a matter of preference. While some people may feel more comfortable with a heavier blanket, others will feel more at ease with a lighter feel. It is good to use the below chart as a guideline and then factor in your personal preferences beyond that. After sleeping with his CMFRT blanket for about a month, my son has notably improved in his focus and ability to calm himself.
Thanks to CMFRT for providing our family with two weighted blankets to review. All opinions are mine.